It wasn't easy at first. Had several rows that looked like this.
But once I figured out Becky's garter bar had a slight bend in the middle I was finally able to account for that and become successful. I was teasing with my friend Bonnie, who had also joined the project and lesson that I was sweating profusely each time I had to use the garter bar. And that I think I was getting a ulcer. We figured that we needed to practice on something we didn't care about. Messing up in the middle of a hat was too stressful.
As with anything learning your tools and practice I was able to successfully get a many rows turned for the "baby doll hats." I think the garter bar and I will become friends in the very near future.
Once I get a hat and matching coat done I'll post a photo.