Thursday, December 8, 2011

Day 9 of Completion Challenge

I've been wanting to make a beanie on my knitting machine for a long time.  That's what my daughter wants.  "Nothing fancy just a beanie."  I wanted to make a beanie with a fitted crown.  Not the typical gathered tops I have done.  They just don't look like beanies.  This is based on a hand knit pattern in the round.  I knew I couldn't do it in the round on the machine just yet, but I knew I could do it flat.  That's OK one of my strengths is the mattress stitch.  One can hardly tell there is a seam from the outside when I do it.
I found this beanie pattern on Ravelry it's called "Regular Guy Beanie."  The first example of it I found the gal had knitted it on her knitting machine.  No written conversion, but I decided it was time to quit thinking about it and just give it a go.

I looked up how to do 2X2 ribbing in my manual.  I read the written pattern for the hand knit version to figure out when to do decreases.  What I really liked about this hat was the spiral chains on the crown created by the decreases.

With my plan written on the back of a recycled envelop I dove in.  I am very pleased with how it turned out even though there were problems.  I also forgot to so some plain knitting rows, but it still fits quite nice.
Only thing I kind of don't like, but will keep to myself when my daughter wears it is the row of holes where the ribbing attaches to the stockinet.  I've been told to next time pick up the purl bump on the stitch next to it to avoid the hole.  There were 2 set ups for doing 2X2 ribbing in my manual I'll have to try the 2nd one and see if it makes a better transition.

**Written pattern for the machine (knitted circularly) can be found here.  If you want it on the mainbed only click the link above to the hand knitted pattern.**

17 comments:

  1. Wow Lynne, this is amazing! I have also wanted to do a true beanie with no gather at the top but I really struggle with converting from hand to machine knits. It usually ends in frustration for me. I was wondering if you'd be willing to share the instructions you came up with?

    Your completion challenges are putting me to shame! But it's super motivating!! : -)

    Thanks so much,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lynne, I've sent you an email. Really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice hat closing! I would weave a ribbon in and out of those holes to make a unique style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you please share this pattern? I would love to make a hat with a true shaped top with my knitting machine, but I don't know how!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anita, there is no email linked to your profile. If you email me I'll send you what I did.

      Delete
  6. hi lynne just came across this while looking for a beanie pattern to do on my knitting machine i was hoping you might share your pattern with me thanks cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello lynne, I just wanted to say I absolutely love this beanie! would you mind sharing your pattern with me? thank you! Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again no email address; therefore, I can't help you.

      Delete
  8. Hi there Lynne I really love your Beanie. Can you please share your pattern. Thanks

    muhammadjoy@hotmail.com

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lynne, this is soooooooo cool! I think I know the regular guy beanie from other knitting blogs, and your machine version looks great! I bought a knitting machine yesterday, and have managed to make a very bad beanie on it, by my own devices, and need some help! :)

    Would you be willing to share your knitting machine version of the Regular Guy beanie for me to try out on my new machine?

    My email address is jesuisunemonstre@gmail.com

    Many thanks in advance if you can :)

    Keep up the great work.

    Katie. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi. I really love this would you please send me the pattern.... Pretty please? S.fialkowski@gmail.com. Sar x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you send your instructions to me, too please?
    yhanafee@gmail.com

    I've been looking for a fitted crown hat pattern for my machine since I got it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like the pattern too. What is the size of this hat? I would like to make a hat for my brother and he has a rather big head. fredgreenm16@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hat is an adult woman size. Link to pattern in above post.

      Delete
  13. Hi, would you please be so kind and share your pattern with me. I have been looking for a nice beanie for a while now and as a guy there is not a lot out there. My mail is slimskim@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there Lynne I really love your Beanie. Can you please share your pattern. Thanks!

    vorig2002@aol.com

    Viv

    ReplyDelete