I've done a couple things different things with this hat. Rather than e-wrap to begin I did a few rows of waste yarn and then hung my hem for the hat band. Was it easier? No. Did it look any better? No. In fact for some reason I had the most difficult time getting my weaving cast-on to work correctly tonight for the blasted waste yarn. E-wrapping would have been easier.
|First hat I made larger brim and no slouch|
|Hat with extra row to add a bit of slouch|
Again I shorten the brim on this one like I did my last one. I like the shorter brim. You can see pictures of my last hat and the shorter brim here.
I also decided that I wanted to do another cast-off other than the latch tool bind off. I didn't like the look of the bulky edge under the brim. Although once the hat is on I've found it's not a factor. It's only bugs me when it's in my hand and I can see it. I decided to use Diana's Lesson 12 Loop Through Loop Bind Off. I really liked the simplicity of this bind off, but it didn't necessarily give me a smaller edge between brim and hat. The thing it did do that is going to be inconvenient is both tails of yarn are on one side. I need these tails to sew up the ends of the brim. Not a biggie, but something to think about.
Finally, I need a lesson in short rowing and when to wrap a needle. I'm ending up with some bulky loops and I'm afraid it's because I just don't know when a hole will be formed and when not. I think I'll need to experiment. That will be a good lesson for my completion challenge.